It doesn’t matter whether you love your job or not, the truth is that it might be slowly killing you. While this might seem like a shocking news, the fact is that our sedentary lifestyle has a great impact on the life expectancy. One research that has been carried out in Australia has shown that men and women who are sitting more than 6 hours at work are more likely to be overweight than others who are sitting less than 45 minutes at work.
Furthermore, this research is not the only one done on the subject – one study in the United States has shown that our sedentary jobs and lifestyles have accelerated the obesity rate among adults, which can further lead to many serious diseases.
Luckily, there are many things that you can do to make sure that this does not happen to you:
- First thing you need to do every day when you are at work is to make sure that you eat and to eat regularly. It can happen more than often that you forget to eat breakfast or lunch because of the many meetings, emails and other distractions. Keep in mind that your body needs energy to go through the day and because of that it is very important to eat.
- If you have to sit long periods because of the nature of your work, it would be a good idea for you to compensate all that sitting with a physical activity. You can join the gym, go for a run before or after work or find some other way to move more.
- If you work in an office with more co-workers there is a big chance that some of them are also interested into losing weight, so why not try to create a group activity which all of you can enjoy? You can go for a walk together after work or join a sports league in basketball or volleyball.
- Another thing that you can do to involve your coworkers is to try to create a healthy atmosphere at work – propose having healthier options for lunch or to remove sweets from work area, so you all don’t cave in. You will be surprised with how much you can achieve with the help of your coworkers.
- Eating because you are bored at work is something that happens to all of us. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to fight with this and the best thing you can do is to stock up on healthy snack to help you satisfy your cravings without sabotaging your weight loss. Furthermore – try to avoid those wending machines that only have sweets and salty snacks.
- When choosing what you are going to have for lunch, try to makes smart choices. If you are not sure about what is healthy and what is not, try to ask nutritionist for help on the matter. Furthermore, keep in mind that you should choose the right portion size along with healthy options.