The key element to losing weight and to living a healthier life is your diet. There is no doubt about it and while we are all aware of this, we all tend to have troubles keeping up with our diet. We all share the same enthusiasm in the beginning, but over the next few weeks the enthusiasm washes off and when we even lose our motivation – it can be hard to keep up with our diet.
We have decided to list a few excuses that we make not to stay on the course and we’ve added some tips to help you get over it:
- You don’t have the time to cook – probably the most common excuse you can hear among people trying to lose weight. But, is it true? Of course, in some cases this can be true, but on the other hand you can try to re-organize your time and find the time to cook. Furthermore, you could prepare food on the weekends and freeze it to use later. Some people write down a meal plan for the whole week and adjust their plan according to their schedules.
- You don’t know what is a good portion size – this is a problem that most of us have and there are many ways to overcome it – first of all, you can order smaller portions when eating out. Tracking food with smartphone apps can be very helpful when learning portion sizes. All-you-can-eat diners and buffets are something that you should try to avoid whenever you can. Some experts recommend that you wait for up to 20 minutes before deciding to get seconds.
- You eat when you are emotional – we have all been there, you are certainly not the only one. First you need to make sure to keep yourself occupied, so that you avoid eating when you are bored or when you have nothing to do – this can be quite the challenge. Furthermore, try to eliminate all junk food from your home, because you are less likely to go to the shop just to buy sweets, on the other hand if you have them near, you are more likely to eat them.
- You don’t know what to eat when you go out – best way to overcome this is to find out what are the best options for you to eat when you go out. Some restaurants offer healthier variants of regular dishes or you could simply order something that has lots of veggies. On the other hand, you should try to avoid fast food if it is possible, because there are no healthy variants of fried fast food.
- You don’t know what to eat on vacations or during holidays – both holidays and vacations are times when we tend to relax and not think about anything that can be stressful for us – including our diet. Try to eat regular proportions of available food and try not to eat too much sweets. Furthermore, invest some time into research about your hotel – maybe there is a swimming pool or a gym where you could workout.