Stress has become regular part of every day for most of us, doctors are now even saying that stress has become one of the key elements of our culture and it has its roots so deep that we even don’t notice it anymore, but it is there, that is one thing you can be sure of. The thing is – we often tend to look for reasons outside ourselves why we are stressed – like we have been stuck in traffic on the way to work or your boss yelled on you and while both of those are valid stressful situations, usually we are the ones causing ourselves the most stress.
The worst thing of it all, we accept stress like normal thing, like something that we were born with, while it should not be that way. We act like we are helpless against stress and that there is nothing that can be done. Experts say that, luckily, this is not true and the moment that we actually realize that we are stressed is the moment we can take action and regain control of our lives.
If you are wondering whether you are a highly stressed person, take a look on the characteristics below – if you are familiar with one or more, it might be the perfect moment to think about your life:
- Stressed people often tend to plan every day to single detail, sometimes even over-planning, giving themselves more things to do in a single day that they would normally be able to take care of. Do you often feel fear of falling behind on your work or tasks?
- One of the characteristics of stressful people is that they tend to do multiple things at once, because of the feeling that they simply don’t have enough time.
- Do you feel that you need to exceed expectations of others (or even your own) to feel that you have won? Do you feel like failure otherwise? How high do you set your own expectations?
- Very often highly stressed individuals need some kind of outside confirmation to feel satisfied. Do you need someone else to tell you that you are doing okay? Do you constantly need affirmation from your boss or coworkers?
- Are you able to relax on the weekends without feeling guilty or you always use weekends to get something done? How often does it happen that you spend the whole weekend working on something that is not important or crucial for your life, but you need to get it done?
- Do you tend to work more than 40 hours? Do you simply love when you can log some more hours doing overtime for your company? Do your friends and family see you often or this is not so, because you spend a lot of time at the office?
- One of the common characteristics of stressful people is that they constantly feel urgency – they simply can’t wait to start or finish something that they have to do.